Here are the most recent job opportunities with the City. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. For instructions on how to apply please read the individual Job Posting.
Police Officer I – Uncertified
The City of Walhalla is accepting applications for a Police Officer I to enforce all local, federal, and state laws relating to the public’s safety and welfare in the city of Walhalla. Conduct vehicular patrols in designated city areas, maintain contact with citizens regarding potential law enforcement problems in the neighborhood, and respond to emergency service calls.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES:
1. Respond to service calls regarding criminal and illegal activities.
2. Patrol assigned areas in deterring criminal activities.
3. Investigate criminal cases.
4. Respond to alarm calls from business and residents in the city.
5. Assist motorists with vehicle issues.
6. Investigate traffic collisions
7. Attend training classes for certifications and officer safety standards.
8. Prepare various reports.
9. Provide assistance to other agencies as required.
10. Prepare for and attend court hearings and trials.
Essential Job Duties are intended to be examples of duties and are not intended to be all inclusive. There will be other duties as assigned.
Additional duties include:
Testify in court for felonies and misdemeanor cases in the General Sessions & municipal level. Ensure proper recording of evidence collected from crime scenes. Continue training throughout the year.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of South Carolina Code of Laws;
Knowledge of policies and procedures of the Walhalla Police department;
Basic computer and radio communication skills;
Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
Qualified to operate various assigned weapons;
Ability to work extended hours and remain on-call for duties;
Physical and mental abilities for known law enforcement work and in apprehending suspects;
Knowledge of city roadways and communities;
Customer service and interpersonal skills;
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The educational requirement for this position is: Completion of high school/GED
Education may not be substituted for experience.
Related experience required: No experience required.
Experience may not be substituted for education.
Will be enrolled in
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, OR REGISTRATIONS:
Certifications, licenses, professional designations, or other qualifications required for this position include: Completion of SC Criminal Justice Academy, Valid SC Driver’s License
Certifications, licenses, professional designations, or other qualifications preferred for this position include:
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Standing: 1/3 of the time or over; walking: 1/3 of the time or over; sitting: up to 2/3 of the time; using hands: 2/3 of the time or over; reaching with hands and arms: 2/3 of the time or over over; Climbing or balancing: up to 1/3 of the time; stooping, kneeling, crouching, or crawling: 1/3 of the time or over; talking, seeing, or hearing: 2/3 of the time or over; tasting: under 1/3 of the time; smelling: 2/3 of the time or over.
This position requires lifting:
Up to 10 pounds: 2/3 of the time or over; Up to 25 pounds: up to 2/3 of the time; Up to 50 pounds: under 1/3 of the time; Up to 100 pounds: under 1/3 of the time; More than 100 pounds: under 1/3 of the time.
This position has the following special vision requirements:
• Close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less)
• Distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more)
• Color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors
• Peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up or down and to the left and right when vision is fixed on a given point)
• Depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships)
• Ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus)
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
The following physical conditions and hazards may be encountered while working in this position:
• Indoor environment
• Outdoor environment
• Extreme temperatures
• Moisture and/or humidity
• Poor ventilation
• Electrical hazards
• Mechanical hazards
• Chemical hazards
• Explosive hazards
• Bio hazardous waste
• Moving mechanical part
• Day/Night 12hr shift work
WATER DEPARTMENT MAINTENANCE WORKER
The City of Walhalla is accepting applications for a maintenance worker in the water department. The maintenance worker will perform maintenance and repairs in the water and sewer departments. An outdoor all-weather job. High School graduate or GED equivalent. Must possess a valid SC Driver’s License and good driving record. Job requires reading small print. Must frequently lift and/or move 25 lbs to 100 lbs. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Applications may be obtained from the City Hall, 206 N. Church Street. EOE/AAE
WATER DEPARTMENT BILLING CLERK
The City of Walhalla Water Department is accepting applications for a full-time clerk in the billing department. Applicants must have excellent computer skills, ability to type 40wpm, be able to read small print, be self motivated, a fast learner, ability to work in a high pressure fast paced environment. Ability to balance a cash drawer and handle cash required. Must be able to follow directions. Applications will be accepted until position is filled and are available at City Hall, 206 N. Church St.
Position hours: Part-time position, works every 6th shift (avg. 24 hours per week). Position may be worked on an as needed basis.
• Performs fire suppression, rescue, emergency medical first response, fire prevention, pre-fire planning, technical rescue, and hazardous materials response operations on assigned shift; ensuring proper and prompt response to protect the lives and property of those in need of assistance all in accordance with NIMS.
• Maintain records and prepares reports as required; cleans and maintains fire/rescue apparatus, equipment, station and grounds; tests fire hoses and fire hydrants; and maintains emergency response equipment in a constant state of readiness.
• Attends training, seminars and meetings to remain knowledgeable of modern fire suppression and prevention methods and maintains required certifications.
• Participate in physical fitness and firefighter training with their assigned crew each shift. This person will assist their assigned crew in maintaining a competent level of operational readiness of their assigned station and department apparatus.
• Completes tasks as assigned from the Chief, Captain, or Lieutenant.
• Completes assigned progressive training and follows mentoring and coaching advice from supervisors for career development.
• Follows departmental and city policies as well as state and federal regulations as applicable.
• Requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent; be 18 years of age; possess a valid S.C. Class E driver’s license; and IFSAC/ProBoard Firefighter 1 certified, possess CPR-First Aid certification, Pump Operations, EVDT, and Medical First Responder certification (may be required to obtain other technical certifications as deemed necessary)
• Prior fire service experience required
• Must be physically able to perform all firefighter duties and attend monthly drills.
Preferred Qualifications (in addition to the above):
• IFSAC/ProBoard Firefighter 2
• NREMT-Basic Pay info: $11.00/hourly, depending on qualifications and experience. $12.00/hourly for NREMT-B.
How to apply:
Obtain employment application at: Walhalla City Hall, 206 N Church St, Walhalla, SC 29691 or online below.
Return completed employment application to: Walhalla City Hall, 206 N Church St PO Box 1099, Walhalla, SC 29691 or email Fire Chief Brandon Burton at email@example.com
Deadline: Open Until Filled