Building Codes

On June 20, 2023, Walhalla City Council approved Ordinance #2023-16 “Building Codes”. View here.

The City is now responsible for the review of building permit applications and issuance of building permits.

No building permit will be issued without an approved Zoning Permit. 
All businesses performing work within the City limits of Walhalla are required to obtain a current Business License.

Inspections may be scheduled by calling RCI of SC, Inc. at 864-491-3195.

Permit Applications
– click on the appropriate permit type for application form.

Building Permit (Commercial, Multi-Family Residential and Accessory Structures)

Residential Building Permit (Single and Two-Family Residential)

Electrical, Mechanical and Plumbing Permits

Site Plan Review (Commercial, PUD and Multi-Family Projects)

Plan Review

Land Disturbance Permit (if disturbing 5,000 sq ft or more)

To obtain a land disturbance permit, please submit a completed land disturbance permit application here.

“Land-disturbing activity” means any grading, scraping, excavating, or filling of land; clearing of vegetation; and any construction, rebuilding, or alteration of a structure. Land-disturbing activity shall not include activities such as ordinary maintenance and landscaping operations, individual home gardens, yard and grounds upkeep, repairs, additions or minor modifications to a single-family residence, and the cutting of firewood for personal use.
Exemptions. The following activities are not required to obtain a land disturbance permit, but should follow best management practices for erosion and sediment control:
(1) Agricultural uses, including forestry;
(2) Minor Landscaping;
(3) Land-disturbing activities undertaken for the purpose of fighting fires or other emergency activity that is immediately necessary for the protection of life, property, or natural resources; and
(4) Land-disturbing activities taking place on a lot containing a lawfully established single-family dwelling, provided such activities are located outside of any sensitive natural areas and provided they are limited to a maximum of 2,500 square feet.

Prior to completing a land disturbance permit, please have the following available:

Site plan, including area to be disturbed;
Tree protection and/or tree replacement plan;
Erosion and sediment control measures to be implemented; and
Temporary and permanent vegetation control measures, including, but not limited to seeding mixtures and rates, types of sod, method of seedbed preparation, expected seeding dates, type and rate of lime and fertilizer application, and kind and quantity of mulching.

If the land disturbing activities impact two (2) or more acres, the application shall also include:

A natural resources map identifying soils, topography, tree cover, waterways and other natural resources; and
A sequence of construction of the development site, including stripping and clearing; rough grading; construction of utilities, infrastructure, and buildings; and final grading and landscaping. Sequencing shall identify the expected date on which clearing will begin, the estimated duration of exposure of cleared areas, areas of clearing, installation of temporary erosion and sediment control measures, and establishment of permanent vegetation.

Once a land disturbance permit (LDP) is approved, please note the following requirements:
Clearing, except that necessary to establish sediment control devices, shall not begin until all sediment control devices have been installed and have been stabilized;
Soil stabilization shall be completed within five (5) days of clearing or inactivity in construction;
If seeding or another vegetative erosion control method is used, it shall become established within two (2) weeks or may require the site to be reseeded or a nonvegetative option employed;
Special techniques on steep slopes or in drainage ways may be used to ensure stabilization;
Soil stockpiles must be stabilized or covered at the end of each workday;
Techniques that divert upland runoff past disturbed slopes shall be employed;
Measures required in order to ensure that sediment is not tracked onto public streets by construction vehicles or washed into storm drains shall be implemented.

Additional Information:

For license information contact SC LLR.

For information on septic systems contact SCDHEC at 864-638-4185, Bureau of Water Quality, or Septic Tank Information.

For information on manufactured homes contact the Manufactured Housing Board at the LLR website.


Contact Us

Thank you for contacting the City of Walhalla. Someone will respond within 5 business days.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search