THE SOUTH CAROLINA POLICY AND MANAGEMENT ACT OF 1991 prohibits disposal of yard waste, land clearing debris, construction and demolition waste mixed in with municipal household trash. The act also prohibits mixing municipal trash with yard waste, land clearing debris, construction and demolition waste. What this means is that the city of Walhalla, being the hauler, is responsible for making sure that the waste being hauled complies with state law. In order to comply with state, city and county policies, the following guidelines will need to be adhered to by the public works customers…
THE STREET DEPT WILL NOT PICK UP ANY DEBRIS OR WASTE PLACED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD BY PAID (LANDSCAPING OR CONSTRUCTION) CONTRACTOR(S). IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HOME, BUSINESS OWNER(S), TENANT(S) AND OR THE PAID CONTRACTOR(S) TO HAUL OFF ANY DEBRIS OR DISCARDED MATERIALS. THERE WILL BE A $100.00 FEE PER FIVE YARDS FROM THE CITY IF THE STREET DEPT HAS TO PICK UP ANY CONTRACTOR DEBRIS PLACED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. ANY MATERIALS BROUGHT IN FROM OUTSIDE THE CITY WILL BE CONSIDERED ILLEGAL DUMPING AND SUBJECT TO FINES AND OR PROSECUTION
- Brush, leaves, and grass clippings cannot be mixed with household waste.
- We will not pick up wet paint. Paint can lids must be removed so the paint inside can dry. Once dry, place the can in your roll cart for pickup.
- The City of Walhalla knuckleboom/brush/claw truck(s) will not pick up household trash placed on the side of the road. Household trash includes clothes, shoes, bed sheets, comforters, books, magazines, paper, newspaper, cardboard, styrofoam, food, canned goods and cleaning products. These items must be placed in your roll cart for trash pick-up. Any waste that has been in contact with lead based paint, petroleum products and any items containing asbestos, pesticides, herbicides or the containers and batteries will also be left.
- Shingles, roofing material and crossties must be taken to the landfill by the homeowner, tenant or business.
- Piles of leaves must contain leaves only. Trash or limbs cannot be mixed in with leaves.
- Metal products, mattresses, tires and tv’s must be in individual, separate piles.
- All limbs, branches and logs over 4 inches in diameter must be cut no longer 6 feet in length.
- Please do not place discarded yard debris and or furniture in a position where it may interfere with traffic line of sight. Or cause motorist(s) to swerve into oncoming traffic.
- We DO NOT pick up cardboard placed on the side of the road. It can be broken down or cut up and placed in your roll cart for pick up or you can bring it to our recycling center @ 395 S Cedar St for your convenience.
- Leaf collection takes place from mid. November to the end of March. Collection speed and number of pickups are based on the amount of leaves around town. Driver availability, holidays, inclement weather, special events and other jobs that take precedence are also factors that may affect pick up frequency.
- Leaves should be raked along the curb (not bagged) and kept separate from brush and trash piles. Please keep leaves away from obstacles including mailboxes, guidewires, water meters, brick walls, vehicles and hydrants.
- Please do not blow leaves into storm drains or in ditches (if possible). This will help prevent potential flooding.
- Please do not hide household trash, newspapers, books, limbs, branches, pieces of lumber, furniture parts, dead animals, rocks, bricks, blocks, metal parts, rebar, tools etc. in your leaf pile(s). HOME/BUSINESS OWNER(S)/TENANT(S) WILL BE LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES AND REPAIRS TO OUR LEAF VAC TRUCK CAUSED BY HIDDEN OBJECTS.
SOLID WASTE COLLECTION
- Your roll cart must be out by 7:00am on the day of pick up and removed from the road by 7:00am the next day.
- Please place your roll cart within 6ft of the curb or road shoulder. The front of the roll cart must be facing toward the street. On older roll carts, disregard the instructions on the lid that says the back of the cart has to face the road. Placing the back of the cart toward the road or placing the cart sideways will cause damage to the cart and not allow the cart to dump properly. Our truck driver(s) reserves the right to leave any roll carts not properly placed for pick up.
- Please do not place your roll cart within 3ft of a mailbox, fence, tree, wall, bush, vehicle(s) or any other damageable object(s).
- ALL GARBAGE AND REFUSE MUST BE PLACED IN PLASTIC BAGS INSIDE THE ROLL CART FOR PICK UP. ALL TRASH BAGS MUST BE TIED. TRASH OR CARDBOARD PLACED OUTSIDE THE ROLL CART WILL NOT BE PICKED UP. PLEASE DO NOT PLACE ANYTHING ON THE LID.
- Per city policy, our drivers(s) are not required to pick up any trash that flies out of the roll cart during the process of dumping if trash is loose and not in tied trash bags. In that instance, it is the customer’s responsibility to clean up any loose trash or litter. Should the driver(s) knock over or drop a roll cart in the process of dumping, the driver will be responsible for cleaning up any trash or litter.
- Do not place items such as poisons, acids, caustics, explosives or other dangerous materials, soils, construction materials (concrete, wood, bricks, etc.) furniture, oil gasoline, paint thinner, kerosene, toxic substances, shingles, etc. in the roll cart. Longer fluorescent bulbs must be busted as soon as they are placed in the cart. Cardboard must be cut up before being placed in the cart. Larger pieces and boxes will cause the cart to not dump properly.
- It is the responsibility of the resident to keep the inside and outside of the roll cart clean. Please do not paint, put stickers or any kind of graffiti on the outside of the cart.
- Roll carts are issued by the City of Walhalla. Any other carts or cans (i.e., carts or cans purchased at Lowes or Walmart) put out to be dumped will not be emptied.
- Your roll cart is the property of the City of Walhalla. You will be charged $86 (price may vary, based on roll cart manufacturer’s prices) for the roll cart if it’s stolen or removed from your residence without permission or damaged beyond repair.
- IF PICK UP FALLS ON A HOLIDAY OR DURING INCLEMENT WEATHER, PLEASE CHECK ALL LOCAL RADIO & NEWS MEDIA, OUR “CITY OF WALHALLA” FACEBOOK PAGE OR CALL US IN CASE PICK UP DIRECTIONS CHANGE. TRASH COULD BE PICKED UP A DAY BEFORE YOUR NORMAL PICK UP. IT MAY ALSO TAKE 2-3 DAYS FOR US TO CATCH UP.
The City of Walhalla encourages you to recycle glass, plastic, cardboard, and tires at the city sanitation department or Oconee County manned convenience centers. You may also drop off aluminum cans and newspapers at one of the following recycling centers within the city limits: Walhalla Post Office or the City Parking Lot or at the Walhalla Fire Department.
The City of Walhalla sprays for mosquitos from June to the first week in October.